X-Men: Legacy Reborn

Gotta Log in my friend.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Gotta Log in my friend.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A play-by-post roleplaying game set after the 3rd X-Men movie, using the Movieverse and reborn canon characters.

Cbox

Affiliates

Warlands RPG

Avenger's Academy

5 posters

Mental vs Physical

Paul
    Paul
    Class 1

Mental vs Physical Empty Mental vs Physical

Post by Paul Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:04 am

As someone who is fairly new to the X-men world I have found it very interesting that there seems to be an definite bias towards the physical powers, super speed for example.

So the question is, when you look to take a character on what attracts you more, physical powers or mental powers?

For me I like the subtle weak looking mental powers, mind manipulation being a favorite, over the more thunder and guts physical ones. I feel it give you more room to be creative with the character, Ghost is an example of that (he is also my first OC in this world and I am still getting a handle on him Smile )

Tag: anyone
    Dani
    Dani
    Admin

Mental vs Physical Empty Re: Mental vs Physical

Post by Dani Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

I oddly tend towards the mental abilities. Every one of my characters, save for Magik ... is purely mental, and if hit by a gun shot...might very well kill them.

I think I'm drawn to them, because I enjoy having a real weakness. I like the challenge of portraying someone who is strong but at the same time weak.

Interesting thoughts. My brain is not functioning properly enough yet for a real reply to this, despite having been awake for 3 hours.
    Signal
    Signal
    Class 5

Post by Signal Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Charles Xavier, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Kid Omega, Sage, Psylocke. These are all mutants with mental powers. The bias is only in the movies really because of how little there is to see when someone uses that power. Physical powers are just cooler to see because of the special effects needed. So there really isn't that much bias about it, in fact, they even go to say that Jean Grey as the Phoenix is the most powerful mutant there is.

I persoanly like the physical powers. Blades and fire and all that Very Happy
    Kaolin
    Kaolin
    Admin

Post by Kaolin Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:33 pm

My choices have atendency to fall well within either category.

Marie is a brawler, whereas Laurie really is a bunny, she's more likely to run and hide in a fight.
    Wanda and Paige have the same thing. Wanda's not the best combatant, Paige revels in it.

Their powers aren't the main draw for me personally, rather how the character interacts with them.

(Also, I'm weird, so thats just my little opinion Wink )
    Clark
    Clark
    Class 5

Post by Clark Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:45 pm

I don't really tend toward either I think... I just like the characters, their powers are cool, but what really makes them is the person wielding the power. Icarus is a talented muscian, which I tend to RP often when I get into it (possibly a near future post), he's also a romantic at heart, if it wasn't for Julia he'd be flirting successfully all over.... Nightcrawler's powers are fun, but the character... fun loving, full of life, and wise beyond his years, he's my comic relief and also a good source for advice. Havok is all powerful... and full of anger... a geophysics major, smarter than he tends to act... Then finally, there's the devil himself, Sebastian Shaw... a powerful heavy hitter, with minor telepathic ability, but his true strength comes from his manipulations, which isn't one of his powers, just one of his natural skills.

Powers just add to the flair of the inner character drama, just pick characters you love, and play them well to the best of your ability. Choosing based on powers isn't always the best way to go about picking a character, in my opinion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:51 am